We have resumed most of our activities. However, given the situation regarding COVID-19, we will assess any new requests based on their urgency and the date of receipt so that we can provide services to our clients in a fair manner. Additionally, response times may be delayed.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding. We encourage you to check our site frequently for the latest updates to our services.
INSCRIPTION - Humanities
- Field label
- Field mnemonic
- Field name
- Translitération de l'inscription
- Field definition
- This field contains the inscription or transliteration of the inscription found on the object. An inscription consists of the actual words in the original language and script on the object. A transliteration is the corresponding English or French.
- DESCRIPTIVE FIELDS
- NOTE: This field has NOT been updated as part of the May 2010 Data Dictionary update. Priority for the Data Dictionary update was given to those fields that are required or strongly recommended for Artefacts Canada contribution. The Entry Rules for this field will be updated at a later date.
- Entry rules
- Enter the inscriptions, or transliteration of the inscriptions, separated by space hyphen space.
- Cataloguers rules
- The inscription is the actual words or letters on the item, and the transliteration is the changing of the actual to the corresponding words or letters of the English/French alphabet. For example, an inscription might be in Inuktitut and changed from syllabics to Roman script. See also, Inscription Translation (NTRLA), Inscription Method (NTRMT) and Marks/Labels (MKSL).
- Data type
- alpha-numeric string
- Non vilescit piscis et hospes
- Vierge Marie
- dedicated to my father's memory, John Edwards, 1945
- bawdeog-a foot of my brother's toes
- AM-pour Ave Maria
- EX COLLEG SOC JESU QUEB.
- Dedicated to my father's memory, John Edwards, 1945
- Samstag Abend no 70
- History Task Force
- Ethnology extra Task Force
- Fine and Decorative Arts Task Force
- Field label (French)
- TRANSLITÉRATION DE L'INSCRIPTION
- Field mnemonic (French)
To suggest edits or updates to this page, please contact the Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN) directly.